Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The search is on for Grey

Ok so it's no surprise...Grey is a huge color right now.  Every where you turn there is grey something or other.  It's status on the hot trend list does not sway my ever loving mind about this misted color.  Nope...not...one...bit.  I've been a fan for a long time, and I will not budge.  If it's grey, chances are it's on my must have list.



Have you seen the new wallpapers they are coming out with?  They vary in pretty colors and patterns, but of course my eye drifts right to the greys.


I have decided to incorporate it into my home with a choice in paint color.  I'm going out on a limb, and painting my entire back family room/kitchen combo a light shade of grey.  Currently it is beige.  My whole house is painted...beige.

As a matter of fact, I'll go ahead and show you what my home looked like when we first purchased it.  The paint color is the same, but the decor has changed a bit.

Please don't judge.  I had the blinds closed (don't ask why), and I barely had any furniture.

um...yeah...I'd love to say that everything in this photo is different now.  That the cabinets are painted and we have new floors, but that is just not the case.  The only thing different is that we now have stainless steel appliances and I've added new accessories for over the cabinets and countertops.

The plan is to paint these cabinets white.  I will be adding stainless hardware.  Adding a subway tile backsplash, and changing out the floor to a warm wood color (preferably one with a driftwood or barnwood appearance).  The window coverings are on their way out.  

I figure that with that warm wood going on, that I would need to cool down the space with paint color. A light grey is just the thing to do it.


Just look at all the choices here.  I could literally go on for days.  Panic started to set in, when I realized that the color grey I was looking for would be hard to find.  I want to tone down the beige and have more of a true pale grey.  Then alas!  I found this...

Hallelujah!! (Did you hear the angels sing?)

I found this photo at the blog AM Dolce Vita.  She was also on the search for the perfect grey and found it!  It is Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter.   She even posted pics with the lights on and off.  It's funny, but on the Benjamin Moore site the color looks more beige than grey so I never would have picked it.  Oh how happy I am that I found her blog, for now the search is done for me.  If you look over her blog you may get lost for an hour or two, but I promise you won't want to miss it.  Her home is gorgeous! 

I also found this post by my dear friend Jami at Freckled Laundry.  It just so happens that she is the Queen of Grey, and has the color down to a science.  So for those of you still on the hunt for the perfect grey...I recommend stopping there too.

Thanks for stopping in and hope to see you again soon!

7 comments:

  1. I love it. Your mood board is great. I'm a grey fanatic too.
    And my last post was about grey paint too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention and kind comments, Natalie. BM Revere Pewter is more of a beige grey than a true grey and it casts different shades under different lighting. I am adding you to my blog roll now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll just buy a sample and see how it looks. I've also had my eye on BM Dolphin Fin. Beige tone or not it looks beautiful on your wall :-). Thanks Michelle!

      Delete
  3. Natalie, It's going to be beautiful...and your home is a perfect canvas!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalie I just wanted to share my experience with using grey. I recently painted our bathroom and an extra bedroom grey, what a nightmare. Be sure and test each room with the color that you want, like Michelle said above. I think I sampled around 10 different grey's and just when I thought I had the color I wanted, I would paint and it would be a totally different color. Like you, I read about the Revere Peweter and so I tried it, but it didn't work in either room. I also read Freckled Laundry's blog about grey. Good Luck and don't loose your mind like I did, hahaha. Can't wait to see all of your changes. I wish you lived closer, I would be happy to share my 10 samples with you! and may the grey paint gods be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love grey! I painted my boys room a very soft gray from restoration hardware and I've got nothing but great comments on the color! Thanks for stopping by my blog! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought of you this morning. So happy you are back to blogging! The new blog design looks lovely! Thank you for the sweet note about my blog & gray lovin', although I'm hardly the Queen. Maybe a princess. hehe! One of the first paint colors that I painted a room in our house when we moved in was Revere Pewter! Such a pretty gray. It's a very warm gray though and looks very light in Michelle's gorgeous hall. I've recently had luck with Ben Moore's "Intense White" and "Gray". I mixed about a 50/50 ratio to get a grayish linen color...you can add more of the darker gray to get a deeper shade. Do you ready The Lettered Cottage. Layla recently shared BM's "Gray Owl" or "Owl Gray" (can't remember). She also had it lightened 50% and it's gorgeous. (She shows it at 100% and 50% in the post.) I hope you find the perfect gray that works for you and your lighting! Your kitchen/LR plan sounds great. White on those cabs and gray walls will totally freshen and lighten your space! I can't wait to see progress, so hurry up and post again. ;) Adding you back into my blog roll, but keep in touch via email too. You were my original blog BFF. xo Jami

    ReplyDelete

A comment a day keeps the doctor away...